DAO Proposal: TimeRex dapp

timeRex :t_rex:

This proposal outlines the dapp idea timeRex :t_rex: based on the experiments I’ve been working on for representing an hour of time as a token.

Overview

Recently there have been several experiments with using tokens to represent individuals’ time. I’ve been selling tokens that represent 1 hour of development work from me, since last year. I think this is a great way to get people using their crypto and new people to ecosystem to understand that tokens and cryptocurrencies have value because they understand that their time intrinsically has value. I’m also interested in creating more ways for people to earn their first crypto, and see easy ways to do so as the best onboarding processes.

Supporting development of this project will result in a dapp which has:

• Automated launching with a simple token contact factory, similar to daohaus
  • Personal profiles that display previous projects (via github or something?), have a buy token option, and list of times their time token has been redeemed.
  • Learning resources and documentation on trust, why tokens have value, and how newcomers to crypto can start earning ETH
  • No marketplace but I’m imagining more of a craiglist jobs board where payments are handled by individuals outside the dapp

Why

One step towards building better DAOs is tokenizing our time and building markets where people are paid more fairly by tokenizing individuals’ labour. There are lots of great projects out there working to build the DAOs of the future. But the DAOs will need to access & hire lots of different types of people. Developers, Marketers, Copy Writers, Researchers, etc… The best way to pay those workers instantly, and tie their work directly to a market governed by supply and demand, is to tokenize workers’ time. This way their pay rate is fairly set by the market, developers and marketers can auto-magically swap services, and DAOs can purchase a number of hours in advanced. This will hopefully result in some interesting things like:

• My time can be staked, if I spend hours planning a meetup or workshop I can ask each attendee to stake 10 of my minutes on coming.
  • My time can be sent as a gift to someone else.
  • People can secure some of my time doing development work before they know what they need me to work on exactly, so I won’t get busy with other projects.
  • My time can be traded for other assets, or even someone else’s time
  • My time is limited, and as the year goes on and tokens are redeemed or stored, the scarcity of my time may cause price fluctuations.

Value Prop

It will be easier for DAOs to track and use human capital when it is tokenized. Also it could be a fun way to onboard people and make it easier for individuals new to crypto to earn their first ETH!

Sustainability & business model

Instead of stealing a percentage of tokens like token launching platforms usually do. I would rather just do it for free and charge for some kind of badges that you can give people you work with or trust (see Gitcoin Kudos). No marketplace for different tokens because moderating it seems like a horrible job. But perhaps companies or organizations can sponsor job postings here.

Proposal ask

A $2000 grant and a request that everyone tokenize an hour of their time once it launches.
0x7e225A2A269F7aF1c884B20F2BA30e8C6573EdfF

Updates

2/23/2020

Finished basic landing page and general vibe for front end. A few css bugs to fix. Working on contract factory next.

4 Likes

This looks awesome!! So long as you don’t take 12% of the total supply upon creation I’m all for it :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot! Any other feed back or ideas on improvement?
Yes, I would rather build something that doesn’t take a percentage but rather gives people an option to pay for promotion or some other benefit. More sustainable, more friendly.

1 Like

Update: 6 Shares ($1000) grant

1 Like

Super into this, esp the Trex part :t_rex:

The idea is great and the website is great, but it has a lot of placeholder content and broken links. When TimeRex?

2 Likes

Hey! Thanks for the support. Much more coming soon, but glad you like the designs so far. Placeholder text will be filled in by this weekend. Beta coming in the next couple weeks, and shooting for a May 1-ish launch

1 Like

I love this!!!

1 Like

Awesome! Keep us posted :t_rex:

1 Like

lol

A little random, but I was talking to @Yalor the other day about 10X value props and used TimeRex as an example. Not sure if this is relevant to this thread or not, but sharing here in case it’s helpful. Feel free to ignore if it’s annoying or whatever lol

10X Value Props

Is the thing an order of magnitude better than what came before? Does it unlock value that was previously impossible? If so it’s probably awesome and should be pursued. Much easier to fix problems like UI or marketing than it is to fix the fundamental problem of a lame product/idea.

Anyways… for TimeRex this might look like:

TimeRex :t_rex:

Software is eating the world. More and more of our work is digital. The internet connects a global network of value, but wages are often set according to the constraints of local markets. This doesn’t make sense. You should get paid based on the value you provide, not which IP your computer happens to be connecting from. We need a new system to meritocratically measure and manage value creation across a global labor market.

Time is a non-renewable resource, but many are stuck in markets that under-pay them for their sacrifice. No more. TimeRex allows anyone to create an open market on their time. This means that compensation will no longer be based on the piece of dirt you live on, but based on the value of your work. With organic price discovery for value based on time, freelancers can earn what they’re worth - empowering millions, if not billions, of people to step into the future.

Unlocking a global pool of talent for businesses and equal opportunity for freelancers will change the way we work. As we build bridges of professional collaboration, we will also build bridges of social trust. This can help us unite towards a better world.

Overdue status update: I’m behind on the schedule I made when submitting this. I’ve mostly been delayed since being locked in productivity is at an all time low. Doing my best here!

Landing page is live on timerex.io, working on landing page now. looking at launch this week or next if I find bugs. still looking for feedback. dapp.timerex.io will be up shortly. If you have feedback please hit me up.