State of the DAO Dapp

Teammates of Odyssy and Abridged came together to build a mobile dapp for the DAO. We’re getting close to mainnet launch ( ~ 1-2 weeks) so wanted to provide a State of the DApp, along with a demo for the community. We’re just getting started but there’s already quite the backlog of interesting features!

Link to the Demo => https://vimeo.com/346973242

Password: metametameta

Original Purpose: Fork the Moloch, Enhance the Experience

We wanted to fork the Moloch contracts, but iterate forward on the product and user experience design of the DAO’s interface in order to open access/usability and enhance member participation and engagement, as well as sending a clear signal to the community about what we expect out of dapp usability going forward.

Following are some design decisions made based on feedback from members of Moloch and prospective members of the MetaCartel DAO

Mobile First

Within the design space, we kept to a mobile-first UX-UI process, wrapping interactions up into microinteractions. Technically, we began planning a native app but moved to a progressive web app (PWA) so we could iterate on one interface first, make sure all users had access to the frontend (mobile & desktop), collect usability feedback, and when stable ship to native.

No Web3 or Metamask Required

A PWA is a great start, but we would still be locked into mobile dapp browsers if we used Metamask or other web3 authentication. Instead, we’re using Contract Wallets via the Abridged Wallet SDK. This has enabled us to use a familiar web2 registration process. Users sign up with a username and password, at which point we initialize a contract wallet for their user. We prompt the user to deposit funds into the wallet, at which point the wallet auto deploys to Mainnet, and the user can interact freely through the dapp on any device/browser. There are many more benefits and enhancements possible through the use of contract wallets and the SDK and we look forward to maximizing its potential.

Data Viz

We’re starting by visualizing the historical data of transactions in and out of the DAO Bank, but look to expand this into many visualizations of useful data to help the DAO understand the current state of its health, and inform members towards what is needed to become even healthier (more sustainable).

Emojis

Though a couple members weren’t into it, the vast majority wanted to use emojis for the vote yes/no buttons on proposals. Through rigorous user testing (:laughing: ), we settled on ‘star-struck’ :star_struck: for yes and ‘:-1: ’ for no.

Blockchain Processor (Transaction Indicator)

Despite the usability enhancements provided by the contract wallets, we still have to deal with block confirmation latency. We needed some way to indicate to the user that their interaction has been sent, is in process, and has been confirmed or failed. Possible considerations for future state channels and synthetic assets here also.

Features Coming Soon (ready to work or in progress)

Push Notifications

A Native App would have provided an easier route to push notifications (Apple hates you/me/us) but we can still send push notifications with our PWA, and they’ll get better over time/iteration. Needs user management of notification settings here also.

Social Signaling

Within the DAO, a new member can only be proposed by an existing member. How does one find a member, start a conversation, prepare their tribute, etc? We’re looking into methodologies of people signaling to the DAO that they would like to join, creating an easier bridge for new and past members to get in.

Example tweet: 0xC8cE176522Ac3668D06bad986d3C0BffBAE4Fc4f summons MetaCartel DAO with 10 $ETH in tribute, requesting 10 shares

Visual Design

First, we’ll need to see if we want to do some branding/naming for the DAO, and subsequent visual language of the DAO and its dapp. With this in place, we can apply to the current flows and UX and polish the UI further.

Features for the Future (haz dependencies)

Native App Development

Once the dapp is live, accessible to all, and some initial user testing has been done, we should push for a Native version of the app.

State Channels / Synthetic Assets

Need list of potential use-cases here to help along the spec of appropriate technical/UX implementation.

Enhanced Data Viz

Looking to expand this into many visualizations of useful data to help the DAO understand the current state of its health, and inform members towards what is needed to become even healthier (more sustainable).

• Potentially a separate dashboard for metrics/analysis of members/proposals/dao-health

In-app Discourse

A popular feature request from the initial user survey was to allow for commenting/discourse within proposals. Could be a comment thread (nested yes/no)? Could be internal or 3rd party (telegram chat, discourse post for each proposal)?

7 Likes

This is fantastic work and I would be very excited to contribute to it. Do you have an issue tracker set up for feature requests?

In particular, I’m already in the process of delivering an MVP UI for management of Bountium DAOs. If the management dApp you build for Metacartel is modular, I may be able to leverage it as a substitute to what I’ve already built, and can push any features I’ve gotten to that you may want upstream. Let me know!

2 Likes

This is looking awesome! Why push toward a native app once the PWA is progressed? What features would be missing? I would suggest keeping with the PWA indefinitely

1 Like

Oh nice! We should definitely connect to compare DAO interfaces and explore any cross-pollination.

No issue tracker yet. We’ve just been hacking it together at lightspeed to get to mainnet for current members. Getting close now though, and will open up for contribution.

1 Like

Main community interest in the native app is to get better push notifications, but I could foresee some other benefits of access to native device controls such as photo/video. Whether or not we do go native in the future, the PWA should be there to stay for all to access the app through any device/browser.

Got it. The biggest problem with push notifications for PWAs as far as I know is lack of iOS support, I’m relatively optimistic they’ll add the capability in the medium term

1 Like

Progress: http://dao.metacartel.org

Check it out :slight_smile: (still can’t create account as we haven’t finished the social recovery feature)

1 Like

Yep, nailed it. Lack of iOS support was the main culprit. I may be less optimistic than you are on Apple adding that capability in the medium term. Apple, like any good centralized giant, will try to maintain a stranglehold on any proprietary funnels/gatekeeping.

1 Like