ETHos, Chili Pod #2

super stoked to see this initiative. firm believer in the unique value created at high signal irl gatherings.

1 Like

Greatly outlined, and sounds like a good initiative. Thrown a couple of builders meetups in Scandinavia, Bogota and Vienna with around 20-50 builders, could be a good project collaboration.

3 Likes

This is an interesting initiative! First post I’m seeing on this forum and totally impressive

An awesome initiative, its nice seeing that most seeing most regions are represented and also the builders. In support of the Web3 Lagos event and the global ones hoping it will all come through successfully!

Hello from Tanzania!
Representing Njombe Innovation Academy.
Nice initiative! Last year we hosted the Innovation Week Tanzania in our region (here a post we wrote), which has a much broader scope, in fact there was not much talk about web3. However, for this year´s edition (April or June) we plan to dedicate a few days to ReFi.

We wonder if what we are doing fits with the intention of ETHos initiative:
e.g. must we check all three items in this list?

We are not at that stage yet.

thanks!

Scaling the ETHOS :large_blue_circle:

Spawned from the loins of MetaCartel, ETHos Chili Pod was created in November 2022 as a low-friction incubator for IRL events. ETHos has now funded five events across four continents.

Our mission is to identify global events that unite groups of diverse humans, exploring the intersections of Web3 technologies and human reality.

ETHos is enabled by a small and distributed team of 6 mentors that have been working together to surface, review, and fund values-aligned Ethereum events.

You can read all about our progress here :point_down:t3:

How We Make Funding Decisions :yellow_circle:

We have been super frugal with the funds we received last year:

• Each event receiving an average of just over $3k - by only spending funds where the group felt 1) the event was both interesting enough and values-aligned and 2) that the event might not otherwise happen if this funding was not provided.

In December we funded “notfellows” to attend ETHindia, where 25 hackers setup shop and proceeded to develop 11 new Dapps, 3 of which won top prizes in the hackathon. We are also currently working on a DAOtokyo house to support their efforts in 2023.

In January we funded an event in Partnership with the Blockchain Club @ Nigeria University that 140 Engineering students, Designers, and Product Managers attended. The talks focused on finding product market fit, Ethereum integrations, and how to influence regulation of Blockchain technology in Nigeria.

In February we funded the RaidGuild <> Nonce house bridging the East and West Communities by bringing hackers, from all over the world, together to Denver collaborate on hackathon projects. They went on to deploy 5 new projects and pitch them to Bufficorn Ventures Studio.

We have 2 events pending, MetaFest in August of 2023 which we are advising and supporting with sponsorship outreach :money_with_wings:

And finally Web3Lagos happening in July 2023, last year 700+ ppl attended this event run by @Ebunayo and his team :niger:

We believe that we can do much more this year, and so we are requesting another tranche of funding.

Our Funding Distribution Plan :green_circle:

In season one, we identified the regional leads, established our initial processes, and made contacts with event organizers from across the ecosystem.

In season two, we plan to build a subdomain of MetaCartel.org (metacartel.org/ethos) where folks will find a typeform link to apply for funding.

Applications will be reviewed weekly by our ops team and voted on by our regional leads.

Each project will receive a written Synopsis post event execution, including tips and trick that will be released publicly on our Substack.

We also plan to experiment with sustainable treasury solutions, not in DeFi, but in lending.

Using DebtDAO, we are able to provide low interest loans to projects like https://metafest.wtf/ who need the money now to organize their events, and will likely receive sponsorship money closer to the time of the event.

Any revenue that comes from the loan interest will be rolled back into the grant treasury and allocated to new events.

This is one of multiple strategies we plan to deploy over the next 9 months.

Our request from the DAO :red_circle:

We request 66 ETH, to be allocated to grants and loans over the next 9 months.

10% of this funding will be used for ops and administration.

• Including website development
  • Typeform subscriptions
  • Graphic design
  • Copy writing

The entire remaining budget will all be allocated to grants for events selected by the stewards, with the aim to fund at least 10 more events in the coming cycle.

The next iteration of the ETHos pod will include faster feedback cycles on how to run awesome, value-aligned, IRL events that have genuine impact.

We have three planned initiatives to increase collective ownership and responsibility for the group’s success:

Connect: We will make connecting with others within the ETHos network easier, so we can all help each other to continually improve the resonance of the events being put together.

Collaborate: We will make it easier for stewards - and the wider MC community - to collaborate further by mentoring and supporting events they are interested in.

Document and share: After a funded event has occurred, interviews with event organizers are scheduled to collect information about how ETHos could have helped more, what organizers can do to run successful events, and what to avoid when planning an event.

We will also be seeking partnerships with other orgs like ConsenSys, Ethereum Foundation, Protocol Labs, etc etc to help increase the stake-holder network and optimize the value created through these grants.

The ETHos Pod Stewards

Please reply with any feedback or thoughts on this proposal below :point_down:

~ We greatly appreciate your support in this initiative :saluting_face:

8 Likes

This is really amazing. Bridging these communities and building the cross border relationships that strengthen the bonds of the network is what I’m here for.

Strong support for this proposal.

Love this. Think the crucial component to keep accountability for is collecting feedback from organizers & attendees to refine future events - could lead to a framework for launching excellent events within MC community. +1 to the DebtDAO integration.

Been a huge fan of the concept. Great work so far Yalor and squad!

1/ Supportive of current initiatives, and format!
This is a better way to source ideas from the ecosystem and identify who is truly passionate about organizing Ethereum gatherings in their regions. Looking forward to folks gaining more awareness of this opportunity.

2/ We should structure the ETHos DAO
To accelerate our progress, I suggest we bring in long-term stakeholders from the MC community and wider Ethereum ecosystem. Key software partners, protocols and DAOs that align with our values will drive compound network effects, share the capital contribution burden with us. With this, we also bring them as stakeholders and decision-makers, so an entirely new subDAO.

If we brought together 5 -10 partners that allocate 32 ETH to drive this program it would be a much more collaborative effort with the ecosystem. This will invite more skin in the game behavior from these stakeholders, but we will have to manage how much influence they have on these events. They should be ecosystem building events agnostic to product or protocol. If these projects add value while providing focus on new releases, etc — we can find balance through governance of this new sub community to MC. Metacartel should 100% continue lead this initiative and governance while diluting some of the responsibility and share the financial commitment with the ecosystem. I’ll work on getting Consensys in on this. Makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

I support this. In season one, this proved to be an effective and efficient use of funds for IRL events across the globe. I fully expect that this diverse group of stewards can take the learnings of the prior season and scale into a larger and even more successful season 2.

I especially love the low-interest loan experimentation, as it can help enable an even greater number of events while still bringing back the original funds to the treasury for further experimentation and grants.

amazing!!! thank you for coordinating this

agreed with other suggestions that this should be coordinated as a DAO

additionally there should be a Fellowship program to help coordinate and scale this

Thank you for all the support and positive feedback on this proposal, i will be moving it to an onchain vote soon so we can get things rolling :saluting_face:

This initiative needs to be gathering outside sponsors to cover budgets. This is 1/3 of the treasury and has no sustainable mechanics proposed.

2 Likes

Why not do grants through meta cartel, instead of Ethos? I think the 32 eth for events is actually a good way to give away the rest of our money in a high impact way. But I dont really understand why the amount has doubled from the last one.

Document and share: After a funded event has occurred, interviews with event organizers are scheduled to collect information about how ETHos could have helped more, what organizers can do to run successful events, and what to avoid when planning an event.

Love this^, and I would like to see more of this from the first ethos grant before we fund the second one please.

The Librate project team was not done by nonce hackers, or at the house funded. That team stayed at and hacked at and got mentorship at the Keyp Castle for free, so I dont understand why that is in here as an example of first funding success. Seems a little misleading, no?

Doing scribe work for ETHos has given me a witnessing perspective. What I appreciate the most about this pod is the commitment to offering not only support in eth, but also offering time in an advisory sync. There’s also meetings and notes on what can be learned from each sponsored event to improve the work of ETHos pod. The stewards don’t just want to improve, they are doing the work to make improvements.

1 Like

In reviewing the Raid Guild & Nonce hack efforts, all hackathon projects from Nonce and Raid Guild were considered a success of the efforts, of which Keyp was a significant supporter. Thank you Joseph for opening up beds and space at the Keyp Castle! We couldn’t have had that great all night hacking night without you! (and, it was a really great night!)

1 Like

MC Scaling to Brazil and LATAM

Oi! Bom dia! :brazil: :smiley: We’re organizing ETH Samba in Brazil and want to get Metcartel involved! As MetaCartel continues to grow and take on new shape— I think it is super important to support and gain presence in emerging markets, especially in Brazil where there’s an abundance of great dev talent…

1 Like

I love the initiative but also didn’t understand this bit…
As scott pointed out, this is now a very significant portion of the treasury.

I do want to point out that there’s been a lot of talk about sustainability inside the group since the first batch.
One of the ideas being discussed was borrowing instead of granting to help event projects get off the ground.
Another, more promising imo, is aggregating grants from bigger Ethereum-aligned projects & dispersing them to smaller events.
I think this makes a lot of sense because bigger projects dont want the overheads of vetting & deciding on sponsoring smaller events, especially meetups. A lot of them would rather give a lump sum to proven allocators & not worry about it - which is exactly where ETHos steps in, as a kind of a sponsorship aggregator.

I remember talks of ETHos being supported by ConsenSys but idk if they materialized yet?

Anyway, voting yes but expecting there to be a conclusion to the question of sustainability &/or backing by a bunch of other orgs if/when there’s a Part III

1 Like

This is a great initiative and I love to see the progress… But I have to echo the others here that the grant is too much.

because this is based on events, has a proven track record, it seems ripe for outside sponsorship. a sponsorship aggregator as @pETH mentioned.

we have never given a grant this big for anything. internal projects, pods, ops, it just seems outside our guidelines. So i agree with @scottrepreneur here.

it basically captures the MC treasury for a new initiative. I think it is great that the first round has bootstrapped something cool like this, it’s a testament to MetaCartel. But the well will be dry to help kick off other new projects if this goes through.

I would support a smaller grant, but not supporting this as it is.

1 Like

Why not just send individual proposals for each event so they can be reviewed at Town Hall every Tuesday?

It’s really cheap to do Governance on Gnosis Chain