ETHos, Chili Pod #2

In line with the newest iteration of grant giving outlined in this post Grant Giving Chili Pods we are firing up a new pod request to help further the mission of MetaCartel :metal:t4:

OVERVIEW

The ETHos working group is an IRL events experimentation group.

We propose to allocate a portion of the treasury and give grants to fund experiments in the physical gathering space, community building events, and other values aligned crypto shelling points.

The impact of MCON is undeniable and continues to reverberate among the community in the months between each event, but we must continue to support groups and operators beyond our own events. MCON is one of many future experiments that we should and could fund.

We are bringing together a small pod of contributors from globally diverse backgrounds North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. I will be facilitating the group towards collective fund raising decisions. Most of us have spent enough time in conversation with our International members to know thereā€™s really cool shit happening there as well, the global ETH ecosystem would be well served by our support of their efforts overseas.

OPERATIONS

Starting with a small group of regionally qualified Web3 community builders we will accept applications from groups and organizations that are hosting IRL events that align with our thesis.

• Talks focus on the builders, the innovation, social impact, not sponsors or profits.

• Ethereum specific focused, and layer 2, not Solana, not Bitcoin, not Binanceā€¦ā€¦

• Event is a not-for-profit or akin model, iteration on sustainability is encouraged and sponsor spotlights discouraged.

We will follow the same model as the Super Scouts, outlined in this post
using 5 people in a Telegram group, with emoji voting :ballot_box:

Project #1

~ Request $$

Voting :heart: = Abstain
Voting :+1:t3: = In favor
Voting :-1:t3: = Against

Project # 2

~ Request $$

Voting :heart: = Abstain
Voting :+1:t3: = In favor
Voting :-1:t3: = Against

Etc etc etc

Any proposal that is brought by a member of the pod must receive at least 3 votes in favor to pass, if we donā€™t reach this minimum within 7 days of a proposal being posted it will be kindly dismissed.

We are implementing a 90 day slashing mechanism to remove any inactive members, but we generally encourage people to cycle out of their role every quarter if itā€™s not a good fit for them.

The basic premise of engagement: each member must cast 1 vote per region/ per quarter + present 1 grant application per quarter (3 votes, 1 proposal, every 90 days) reviewed by the group.

This group will consist of the following members at its outset:

@Yalor Mewn, overseeing North American applications, https://twitter.com/YalorMewn

• Host of MCON
  • MetaCartel Operations Team
  • Global Web3 Event Organizer

@pETH, overseeing European applications, twitter.com/pethereum

• Host of Intercon
  • Host of MetaFest
  • Creator of MetaGame

@See Eun Ha, overseeing Asia applications, https://twitter.com/s3unha

@Ebunayo (Awosika Ayodeji) overseeing African applications, https://twitter.com/Ebunayo08

• Founder Web3bridge, onboarding developers in Africa into the Ethereum ecosystem.
  • Host of Web3 Lagos Conference.
  • Kernel Fellow KB1

ALLOCATION

The ETHos pod is an experienced group of global event organizers and community builders, seeking 6 months of funding (32 ETH) distributed across 4 regions. North American, European, Asian and African events.

We will request these funds into a Gnosis safe and manage them autonomously with a feedback loop every 90 days to the DAO to update the progress of the events we have funded and their various outcomes.

This groups welcomes your feedback, the proposal will remain open for review until an on-chain vote is triggered to begin allocation :money_with_wings:

11 Likes

Love it, thank you!

Btw my twitter account its not suspended, its just not the right handle :joy: - its @petheth, not @pethereum

1 Like

Great initiative Yalor, the regionalization will allow us to expanding and developing the DAO. On the other hand, whatever I can help the SuperScouts teams in this continent, let me know. The voting system seems more efficient and transparent, no hurt feelings.

This is a an amazing initiative. Thank you

1 Like

MetaCartel does events right, and this seems like the right team to spearhead this initiative.

Only piece of feedback is if the proposal should start at 90 days so the dao can have itā€™s first update before approving more.

On a technical side I think the DAO should have control over the Safe, as a fallback, just like how the Scouts have it setup.

3 Likes

I like this initiative and I think it addresses a latent concern Iā€™ve had thinking about when and to what degree itā€™s appropriate to use DAO funds to sponsor IRL events that can only be attended by a subset of the membership.

Right now we have an ad hoc IRL sponsorship process that generally defaults to yes if the sponsor is well regarded, but this method doesnā€™t have any inherent limits or pre-conditions so tends to drift toward likely over- or under-allocation based on the level of sponsor initiative.

This proposal puts $ and time bounds on the IRL event pace and suggests a ratio of the amount of resources that should go into this form of community support compared with the overall resources of the DAO. The ratio proposed here, as well as the design of the program, are in my view well tailored for a first round.

2 Likes

To be clear, we might spend all the funding in 90 days if the events we are curating are doing well. I made the 6 month timeline to ensure that we have time to setup and execute some feedback loops before we request more funds.

In the future we might even solicit fund from other values aligned orgs,thereby reducing any requests from MC down to a partial sponsorship. Still tbd, but I would prefer to request the same as the other scout group to give us the runaway needed to deliver.

I am fine with the DAO having fall-back ownership of the safe.

I think this has enough positive signal so move forward with a vote, I already have a few projects in the pipeline that could use funding for ETHindia this year, & European events starting early next year so Iā€™m going to put it to a vote.

Look forward to getting the DAOā€™s full support on this one :metal:t4:

2 Likes

I have a bit of whiplash from Yalor saying the cartel is dead last week, to using it for cool positive sum stuff today. That saidā€¦ this is a good proposal and I think the more IRL events we support strategically to bring people into web3 the better.

Can we do the thing dekan said here though please? This seems a bit more DAO-y

Also generallyā€¦ Iā€™m pro fast tracking just giving away the rest of the money in treasury if the right projects are there to fund.

1 Like

I love this proposal and it is an excellent model going forward. Fully support.

GM beautiful :hot_pepper: fam! This happens to be my first post in the MetaCartel Forum.

Iā€™m @See Eun Ha crossing over from Venture DAO land. My intention is that more diverse fresh blood is added to MetaCartel through the ETHos working group and MC gets more exposure in different corners of crypto to spread its culture/vibes.

I have experience founding and operating a co-working, co-living hacker space called nonce in Seoul, Korea. I kicked it off in 2018 and left in 2021 to pursue DAOs full time and nonce is still going! :muscle: Through this Iā€™ve experienced first hand the special power that IRL events hold.

Iā€™m honored I can contribute. :bowing_man:

3 Likes

super stoked to see this initiative. firm believer in the unique value created at high signal irl gatherings.

1 Like

Greatly outlined, and sounds like a good initiative. Thrown a couple of builders meetups in Scandinavia, Bogota and Vienna with around 20-50 builders, could be a good project collaboration.

3 Likes

This is an interesting initiative! First post Iā€™m seeing on this forum and totally impressive

An awesome initiative, its nice seeing that most seeing most regions are represented and also the builders. In support of the Web3 Lagos event and the global ones hoping it will all come through successfully!

Hello from Tanzania!
Representing Njombe Innovation Academy.
Nice initiative! Last year we hosted the Innovation Week Tanzania in our region (here a post we wrote), which has a much broader scope, in fact there was not much talk about web3. However, for this yearĀ“s edition (April or June) we plan to dedicate a few days to ReFi.

We wonder if what we are doing fits with the intention of ETHos initiative:
e.g. must we check all three items in this list?

We are not at that stage yet.

thanks!

Scaling the ETHOS :large_blue_circle:

Spawned from the loins of MetaCartel, ETHos Chili Pod was created in November 2022 as a low-friction incubator for IRL events. ETHos has now funded five events across four continents.

Our mission is to identify global events that unite groups of diverse humans, exploring the intersections of Web3 technologies and human reality.

ETHos is enabled by a small and distributed team of 6 mentors that have been working together to surface, review, and fund values-aligned Ethereum events.

You can read all about our progress here :point_down:t3:

How We Make Funding Decisions :yellow_circle:

We have been super frugal with the funds we received last year:

• Each event receiving an average of just over $3k - by only spending funds where the group felt 1) the event was both interesting enough and values-aligned and 2) that the event might not otherwise happen if this funding was not provided.

In December we funded ā€œnotfellowsā€ to attend ETHindia, where 25 hackers setup shop and proceeded to develop 11 new Dapps, 3 of which won top prizes in the hackathon. We are also currently working on a DAOtokyo house to support their efforts in 2023.

In January we funded an event in Partnership with the Blockchain Club @ Nigeria University that 140 Engineering students, Designers, and Product Managers attended. The talks focused on finding product market fit, Ethereum integrations, and how to influence regulation of Blockchain technology in Nigeria.

In February we funded the RaidGuild <> Nonce house bridging the East and West Communities by bringing hackers, from all over the world, together to Denver collaborate on hackathon projects. They went on to deploy 5 new projects and pitch them to Bufficorn Ventures Studio.

We have 2 events pending, MetaFest in August of 2023 which we are advising and supporting with sponsorship outreach :money_with_wings:

And finally Web3Lagos happening in July 2023, last year 700+ ppl attended this event run by @Ebunayo and his team :niger:

We believe that we can do much more this year, and so we are requesting another tranche of funding.

Our Funding Distribution Plan :green_circle:

In season one, we identified the regional leads, established our initial processes, and made contacts with event organizers from across the ecosystem.

In season two, we plan to build a subdomain of MetaCartel.org (metacartel.org/ethos) where folks will find a typeform link to apply for funding.

Applications will be reviewed weekly by our ops team and voted on by our regional leads.

Each project will receive a written Synopsis post event execution, including tips and trick that will be released publicly on our Substack.

We also plan to experiment with sustainable treasury solutions, not in DeFi, but in lending.

Using DebtDAO, we are able to provide low interest loans to projects like https://metafest.wtf/ who need the money now to organize their events, and will likely receive sponsorship money closer to the time of the event.

Any revenue that comes from the loan interest will be rolled back into the grant treasury and allocated to new events.

This is one of multiple strategies we plan to deploy over the next 9 months.

Our request from the DAO :red_circle:

We request 66 ETH, to be allocated to grants and loans over the next 9 months.

10% of this funding will be used for ops and administration.

• Including website development
  • Typeform subscriptions
  • Graphic design
  • Copy writing

The entire remaining budget will all be allocated to grants for events selected by the stewards, with the aim to fund at least 10 more events in the coming cycle.

The next iteration of the ETHos pod will include faster feedback cycles on how to run awesome, value-aligned, IRL events that have genuine impact.

We have three planned initiatives to increase collective ownership and responsibility for the groupā€™s success:

Connect: We will make connecting with others within the ETHos network easier, so we can all help each other to continually improve the resonance of the events being put together.

Collaborate: We will make it easier for stewards - and the wider MC community - to collaborate further by mentoring and supporting events they are interested in.

Document and share: After a funded event has occurred, interviews with event organizers are scheduled to collect information about how ETHos could have helped more, what organizers can do to run successful events, and what to avoid when planning an event.

We will also be seeking partnerships with other orgs like ConsenSys, Ethereum Foundation, Protocol Labs, etc etc to help increase the stake-holder network and optimize the value created through these grants.

The ETHos Pod Stewards

Please reply with any feedback or thoughts on this proposal below :point_down:

~ We greatly appreciate your support in this initiative :saluting_face:

8 Likes

This is really amazing. Bridging these communities and building the cross border relationships that strengthen the bonds of the network is what Iā€™m here for.

Strong support for this proposal.

Love this. Think the crucial component to keep accountability for is collecting feedback from organizers & attendees to refine future events - could lead to a framework for launching excellent events within MC community. +1 to the DebtDAO integration.

Been a huge fan of the concept. Great work so far Yalor and squad!

1/ Supportive of current initiatives, and format!
This is a better way to source ideas from the ecosystem and identify who is truly passionate about organizing Ethereum gatherings in their regions. Looking forward to folks gaining more awareness of this opportunity.

2/ We should structure the ETHos DAO
To accelerate our progress, I suggest we bring in long-term stakeholders from the MC community and wider Ethereum ecosystem. Key software partners, protocols and DAOs that align with our values will drive compound network effects, share the capital contribution burden with us. With this, we also bring them as stakeholders and decision-makers, so an entirely new subDAO.

If we brought together 5 -10 partners that allocate 32 ETH to drive this program it would be a much more collaborative effort with the ecosystem. This will invite more skin in the game behavior from these stakeholders, but we will have to manage how much influence they have on these events. They should be ecosystem building events agnostic to product or protocol. If these projects add value while providing focus on new releases, etc ā€” we can find balance through governance of this new sub community to MC. Metacartel should 100% continue lead this initiative and governance while diluting some of the responsibility and share the financial commitment with the ecosystem. Iā€™ll work on getting Consensys in on this. Makes a lot of sense.

1 Like