šŸŽ‰ The BIG ā€˜introduce yourselfā€™ thread

Hi all,

Iā€™m Garrett. Iā€™m working to make revenue-generating DAOs a thing that anyone can start. Iā€™ll feel successful when I enable a ton more capital flow toward development and adoption of tools that make people freer.

I started the first public bitcoin mining operation almost eight years ago, and bought my first ether to get into The [original] DAO. I attended MultiSigCon0 in Denver last week and had the pleasure of meeting many of you I didnā€™t know already in person, and I couldnā€™t be more excited to join this group.

Hi everyone, Iā€™m Chris Gilbert.

I have been involved in crypto since the early days. I mined Bitcoin in 2011ā€“sold when it hit dollar parity! I am among the Goxed.

I work as a technical lead and software engineer for a big corporation. Iā€™ve spent the past two years running an internal dApp team.

I found this after hearing Peter speak on Laura Shinā€™s excellent podcast, Unchained.
Iā€™m interested currently experimenting with the pocket-moloch code and trying to get my own instance up and running.

Cheers!

Hey Chris, welcome. Itā€™s great to be among a fellow Goxed one. How did you find out about bitcoin back then and what inspired you to mine it? Love learning peoplesā€™ stories.

How would you like to get involved in the MetaCartel?

1 Like

@garrettian I learned about Bitcoin by word of mouth, well, a tweet, really. Dan Kaminsky made a passing reference to it and I went down the rabbit hole as they say.

Iā€™ve spent a good deal of time working with crypto, but not as a part of the community. Iā€™m hoping to find a project I can lend my skills to.

Hey! My name is Punia and I got involved in the blockchain space in around 2016 through Blockchain at Berkeley. Since then Iā€™ve done consulting for a few startups and most recently was the blockchain investor at Draper Associates.

I quit my job to start my own company. Still figuring out what exactly to do, but in general really interested in the future of communities and how we self govern each other. Social media is shifting away from the idea of broadcasting to everyone in favor of small groups, future of work is shifting to gig/entrepreneurial type jobs, and people are becoming more divided around government. Really curious as to where this will all go.

3 Likes

Greetings all ~~ :wave:

Iā€™m Ross Campbell, a Brooklyn attorney and sometimes-Solidity coder working on mapping out corporate and ā€˜frontierā€™ governance schemes for DAOs.

Among other juggled hats šŸ¤¹, I work part-time for OpenLaw // ConsenSys on scripting together legal templates for our users to take advantage of Ethereum executable records for their agreements.

Since sprinting on the OpenEsquire project and formulating some early prototypes for ā€˜limited liability DAOsā€™ with dOrg between New York and Vermont (LLC-DAOs) and other cryptonative remote-first businesses (as @OKDuncan has docā€™d pretty well here), Iā€™ve come to realize how much opportunity there is for well-reasoned for-profit DAO structures. I am excited to join the MetaCartel forum and learn more about the members, plans, and ambitions already making good substance from the ether - stoked to be here! :vulcan_salute:

5 Likes

Awesome - what kind of software engineer are you? There are a few different initiatives we might be able to plug you into. Welcome to the group!

2 Likes

DAOs are certainly the right place so Iā€™m glad you found MetaCartel. Are you interested in working on a revenue-generating DAO? I really believe we can create a more grassroots and sustainable alternative to VC this way.

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. In fact, I feel like Iā€™m exclusively interested in revenue-generating DAO. Chris Giblert and I in another post were discussing how DAOs could get funded through membership dues, like unions are, or income share agreements, like churches and governments are. Excited to see where this will go!

3 Likes

Hey Ross! Nice to meet you and welcome to the MetaCartel. Weā€™re moving forward on the creation of a legal structure for our rev-gen dao and itā€™ll be great to get your guidance there!

1 Like

Nice, those are some interesting approaches - letā€™s hop over to that thread.

2 Likes

Check it out: šŸ’­ Idea: Membership as a form of Sustainability?

3 Likes

greetings all! brent here from Canada. iā€™ve built communities to solve technical challenges and build complex systems in meat space (hardware). iā€™ve been studying DAOs since The DAO and am a firm believer that we have reached peak hierarchy. really looking forward to following along here and contributing as i can.

anyone in Toronto on Thursday for the meetup before EthWaterloo?

2 Likes

I work on SaaS products, mostly, both front- and back-end development. I do some infrastructure work in AWS and Iā€™ve dabbled in Ethereum smart contracts. JS, PHP, and Python are my most comfortable languages.

2 Likes

Hey there! This is Martin Etzrodt (most often found elsewhere as @etzmail). I am working as researcher for AKASHA.org. Currently focussed mostly on ethereum.world . Cheers.

3 Likes

Hi Iā€™m Gabi, currently working full-time on Aragon. Had super nice conversations with both James and Garrett, I think cross pollination of communities building DAO models could be a catalizer to step forward and keep push experimentation and adoption of this powerful tools. Iā€™m here to contribute and learn :slight_smile:

Btw, Iā€™m super interested on create a baseball card representation for each member of a DAO allowing to introduce the concept of believability weight decisions of Ray Dalio to DAOs :star_struck:

3 Likes

Hello everyone, Iā€™m Mark and Iā€™m an anthropologist. Iā€™m new to DAOs and pretty new to blockchains. Iā€™ve made a contribution to the BIG ā€œdApp ideaā€ thread, feel free to check it out and reply; The BIG ā€˜dApp idea' thread

1 Like

Hi folks! Iā€™m Ariel Becker, from Argentina. I worked some time now on crypto projects, mostly for the Nebulas project (currently working on a Metamask plugin for that blockchain).

Now, my passion is mapping. I have an (almost) complete map of the railroads in Argentina, and, given my current knowledge on GIS (Geographical Information Systems), I want to develop a fork of Leaflet that implements web3 (especially NFT) to store features on the map, like points, lines, and areas.

Imagine a map framework that lets you buy a marker for your business, complete all the info, then apply it in any web map app that implements the framework; you can carry all your info, your reviews, in your Ethereum account, and share it in as many maps as you want.

Another cool use of this framework can be for city maintenance: every culvert, every storm drainage, traffic light, etc, has its own NFT. Each NFT can be associated with several metadata, as last maintenance date, current status, date it went into service, date it was taken out of service, and so on.

Yet another use: a geographic like alla PokƩmon GO. You can put several characters on the map, construct an app around it, and use the framework to determine position and ownership.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I am David from Los Angeles, CA. I just read the MetaCartel Ventures whitepaper and think it is a really amazing concept so I found my way over here. I am a UC Berkeley grad and full stack developer currently working at Nash, a cross chain DEX supporting Ethereum and other chains. It took me a while to realize how amazing Ethereum is, but now I am obsessed with it and every day for the past few months I have been learning more and more about the community and ecosystem; it is fascinating. I am a big lurker, sometimes commentator, on crypto twitter (dvdschwrtz) and I am interested in digging deeper on the technical side of Ethereum and exploring the range of possibilities for new and exciting dapps and protocols.

Nice to meet you all!

3 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Jason Jones and they call me theDoctor. I am an entrepreneur and investor. I have started a bunch of companies and funds along my journey, many of which continue to this day (see my LinkedIn here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonjoneslinkedin/).

For the past two years I have been focused on the Blockchain. I was the project lead for ConsenSys Capital Asset Management where I tuned my focus to DeFi. I recently joined Centrifuge to help launch their Tinlake product, which is a securitization platform to introduce real world assets to DeFi.

I have previously created and launched a series of hedge funds, ETFs and robo-advisors and I am now extremely interested in the next frontier, specifically creating a for-profit investment DAO. I have joined this community after reading the MCV DAO whitepaper.

I love how MCV DAO is really a DeFi system on top of the existing US legal framework. I want to get involved and I want to iterate. Please ping me, tell me what you are working on, and how I can get involved.

I look forward to meeting you all!

2 Likes